An innovative approach to business is essential for growth and prosperity.
Innovation Law has always been an important part of the legal services of the principal of Seftcorp Law, Grant Sefton. His experience has been gained over 32 years, and commenced whilst working in-house for multinational companies Alcoa of Australia Ltd and CRA Limited (now Rio Tinto).
Innovation Law services provided by Seftcorp Law comprise of intellectual property law and information technology law, as well as the legal aspects connected with creating and developing an innovation business or framework, such as capital raising for start-ups and early stage innovative companies, collaborative research arrangements and funding structures to support research and development.
Grant Sefton is also an active and experienced angel investor, investing in several start-up and early stage innovative companies through Hunter Angels and separately. He is also a founding director of Hunter Founders Forum. These involvements have equipped Seftcorp Law with the experience and contacts to provide a comprehensive service to those focused on innovative enterprises.
Our innovation law services and capabilities include:
- Business Structures – review of, advising on, amending and implementing business structures for innovative enterprises including establishment and demobilising of companies, joint ventures, partnerships and trusts
- Capital Raising – introducing innovative enterprises to potential sources of capital and the legal aspects connected with capital raising such as advice on regulatory requirements and negotiating, drafting and reviewing capital raising documents such as term sheets, offer information statements and prospectus and transaction documents such as subscription agreements, shareholder agreements and Constitutions
- Collaborative Research – negotiating, drafting and reviewing collaborative research arrangements between research entities
- Dispute Resolution – assistance with resolution of IP/IT disputes
- Equity incentive schemes – structuring and drafting equity incentive schemes for founders, employees and other value-add contributors
- Information Technology – advice on information technology law and negotiating, drafting and reviewing a wide range of IT instruments including license agreements, website development & support agreements, e-commerce terms & conditions, hosting agreements, software development agreements, service agreements, confidentiality agreements, escrow arrangements, maintenance contracts, teaming agreements and system integration agreements
- Intellectual Property – advice on intellectual property law, registering trade marks or conducting searches of trade marks registers and negotiating, drafting and reviewing a wide range of IP instruments including license agreements, confidentiality agreements and IP assignment agreements
Samples of Work
Major past work in innovation law services includes:
- Acting for Campervan & Motorhome Club of Australia in drafting website development & support agreements and chat-room terms & conditions
- Acting for multinational cosmetic company on legal aspects connected with setting up its business including online terms and conditions
- Negotiation and drafting of a wide range of research, collaboration, license and joint venture agreements for the commercial arm of a University
- Drafting and negotiation of computer systems agreement for Computer Systems Australia
- Acting for various innovative start-up companies on a wide range of corporate and commercial issues including capital raisings, offer documents, subscription agreements and shareholders agreements
- Drafting and reviewing of license agreements connected with the design, manufacture and maintenance of railway rolling stock for United Group Rail
- Drafting and negotiation on behalf of a University of Project Funding Agreements
- Drafting of wide range of licensing agreements for Jurox, a multinational veterinary science company