In today’s quickly changing and open business environment, international ‘deals’ have become a vital aspect of most businesses.
International dealmaking has always been an important part of the legal services of the principal of Seftcorp Law, Grant Sefton. His experience has been gained over 32 years, and commenced whilst working in-house for multinational companies Alcoa of Australia Ltd and CRA Limited (now Rio Tinto).
Seftcorp Law acts for several multinational companies, as well as smaller entities, in a wide variety of international transactions across most major jurisdictions.
Grant Sefton is a long-standing member of IR Global, one of the fastest growing professional service firm networks in the world. Members provide legal, accountancy and financial advice to companies and individuals across 150 jurisdictions. Grant is the sole Australian representative in commercial law for IR Global and has been on the international steering committee for its ‘Commercial Law’ and 'Asia-Pacific' groups since inception of each of those groups. He previously served on its ‘Deal Makers’ steering committee for two years. Regular attendance at IR Global conferences held throughout the world has equipped Grant with important international contacts and contemporary knowledge on international legal and other issues, to greatly assist clients in their international dealmaking. For further information on IR Global see https://irglobal.com/
Grant was previously the Chairman and a long-standing director of Hunter Export Centre, a not-for-profit network of exporters, Government instrumentalities and international service providers based in the Hunter Valley, Australia.
Our international dealmaking legal services and capabilities include:
- Agency & Distribution – negotiation, drafting and review of agency and distribution agreements
- Acting for Foreign Entities – assisting foreign entities with the legal and regulatory aspects of investing in Australia or conducting business in Australia, including advice on and applications to the Foreign Investment Review Board and introductions to suitable business partners and service providers
- Dispute Resolution – dispute resolution, mediation, arbitration and litigation in foreign jurisdictions
- e-Commerce – drafting and review of online terms and conditions for conducting e-commerce transactions involving foreign jurisdictions
- Establishing a business – assisting with the legal and regulatory issues connected with establishing a subsidiary, business or branch office in a foreign jurisdiction
- Exports & Imports – exporting or importing of goods or services including negotiation, drafting and review of manufacturing, service and supply agreements and review of regulatory requirements
- Intellectual Property – review of and advice on intellectual property issues in foreign jurisdictions and negotiation, structuring, drafting and review of license agreements, collaborative research and other intellectual property arrangements
- International Contacts – suitable introductions to potential foreign business partners, service providers or Government officials
- International Legal & Regulatory Review – review and advice on the legal and regulatory framework of jurisdictions
- Joint Ventures – negotiation, structuring, drafting and review of joint venture arrangements
- License Arrangements – review of intellectual property issues in foreign jurisdictions and negotiation, structuring, drafting and review of license agreements and other intellectual property arrangements
- Mergers & Acquisitions – acquisition or divestment of business entities or assets, or capital raisings, in foreign jurisdictions
Many of these services are often provided in conjunction with foreign based legal advisers through IR Global or other foreign advisers.
Samples of Work
Major past work in international dealmaking legal services includes:
- Acting for Sportscover in the sale by it of a managing agency for a Lloyd’s of London syndicate, including drafting and negotiation of share sale agreement and connected documents
- Drafting of distribution and licensing agreements and other commercial arrangements for Jurox, a multinational veterinary science company products developer
- Acting for a multinational cosmetic company connected with setting up its business including corporate structuring and drafting of multinational manufacturing agreement, talent agreement and e-commerce terms and conditions, including introducing the client to Italian lawyers to facilitate European legal advice
- Negotiation and drafting of a wide range of international research, collaboration, license and joint venture agreements for the commercial arm of a University
- Drafting opinions for the participation by Nimbus Clean Energy in two South African wind farm joint ventures
- Drafting a manufacturing agreement between an Australian innovative company and a Chinese manufacturer
- Acting for a Chinese coal company in bidding for and negotiating investment in Australian coal mines
- Drafting and reviewing of foreign design, manufacture, maintenance and license agreements of railway rolling stock for United Group Rail.
- Acting for a large listed company in negotiating and drafting intellectual property license agreements for building products in Asia and USA
- Incorporating a subsidiary of a client in New Zealand and maintaining regulatory reporting for that subsidiary